Sunday 23 December 2012

Christmas – it’s all about the food.


Let’s face it for most of us; once the gifts are given and received, Christmas is all about the food.  The whole lead in to Christmas revolves around celebrating with friends, work colleagues, family and neighbours.  All of these celebrations are centred around the food.  People haggle with much anguish about where they should go for the work break up dinner or the girl’s lunch, which canapés would be best or what meat they should have on the BBQ for the street party.

One of my best girlfriends, who rarely cooks or caters, has gone mad this Christmas by hosting a series of Christmas gatherings in the days leading up to Christmas Day and is then hosting Christmas Day with all the trimmings.  She is slicing, dicing, glazing, stuffing and garnishing.  I’ve never seen her produce more than one platter of 12 savoy biscuits with gourmet toppings on them, so I am waiting eagerly to see how this turns out for her!

These types of behaviors go on right up until Christmas Day then it’s absolute food anarchy. There is always way too much food and everybody eats way too much.  No matter where you go or where you come from there are endless tables full of roast meats, vegetables, salads and enough desserts to start a cake store.  It seems outrageous that for one day the majority of the population to go extremes to cater for their loved ones.



Coming from a Hungarian background on my mother’s side, the menu on Christmas day seems even more ridiculous than what I have seen on the Australian side of my family.  We always have to start with soup, even when its 45 degrees in the shade.  Then we have all of the Hungarian staples along with some Australian dishes to round out the main and then dessert course.  It’s a hot and cold buffet catering for every culture, age group and dietary requirement possible.  And that’s only lunch!  I don’t even want to get started on Christmas dinner.

But I love it.  I eat too much, drink too much then fall asleep on the couch, waking up 40 minutes later to realize I’ve been asleep with my mouth open and once again missed out on doing the dishes!

In all of this food absurdity there are some delights that only seem to appear at Christmas time.  I’m not sure why that it but I know that when you try and eat some of these things outside of the festive season they are nowhere near as good. So here are my top five food favorites at Christmas time that need not bother at any other time of the year.

1.    Sticky Date Pudding with Caramel Sauce.  My secret recipe that I share with no one – I’d rather make you one than share the secret.
2.    Cherries.  They need to come in a massive box and be delivered by that cherry guy that you never see.  The cherries just appear at the front door a day or two before Christmas.
3.     Aunty Marg’s Trifle.   I don’t want to know how she makes it so I can make it myself. Just turn up with it each Christmas please!
4.    Creamy Cucumber Salad. My Hungarian grandmother makes this for Christmas Day lunch and it’s the best.  I believe it’s Hungarian because she makes it and because it has paprika on the top of it!
5.   Left Overs on Boxing Day. Need I say anything except it all just tastes better the next day.  It really does.

Merry Christmas Friends!  

Eat, drink and be merry!

No comments:

Post a Comment