Sunday 4 November 2012

The Sweetest Thing - Part 9


Marita’s Trifle


Wow – this is the final instalment of ‘The Sweetest Thing’ series.  This series of favourite sweet delights from the sweet, lovely, fabulous ladies in my family has been hugely popular.  So much so that I am considering extending the series to any of the sweet girls in my life that would like to share their favourite sweet recipe with me. Stay tuned sweet ones!

There is no doubt Christmas is in the air – I can smell it.  I know it’s only November but when the weather starts to get warmer, the flowers are in full bloom and the supermarkets have had the Christmas decorations out for a month already it’s hard not to start thinking about Christmas and the food that comes with it.

One of my all time favourite sweet things at Christmas is trifle.  Ever since I was a little girl I remember devouring my grandmother’s trifle, then when she retired from making it my aunty turned up with the goods.  These days it’s my sister in law Marita.   Her favourite sweetest thing recipe is this trifle that was passed onto her from her mum and the original recipe comes from the NMAA (Nursing Mothers cook book).  I can’t wait to hoe in to it this Christmas Day.

TRIFLE RECIPE



What you need –

18" sponge cake
3-4 tablespoons of raspberry or strawberry jam or 285 gram packet frozen raspberries or fresh raspberries
1/4 cup of sherry or fruit juice
600 ml warm custard
300 ml thick cream

What you do –

Split sponge cake in two, sandwich together with jam and put in bottom of glass bowl.   

Place raspberries on top and sprinkle sherry over cake. Prepare custard and while still hot pour over cake. Then leave until cold.  

Beat cream and spread over custard.   Decorate with almonds and cherries.

Handy hints –

Mum usually uses tinned peaches and also makes a raspberry jelly. When the jelly is set, chop it up and put on top of the custard decorating the top with the jelly instead of the almonds and cherries.

Aunty Margaret said in Ireland they make a jelly and pour it over the sponge and let it set, which works very well.

Thanks Sweet Marita. 

Enjoy friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment