Wednesday 18 April 2012

Red Velvet Cake - Magnolia Bakery

New York, New York!

Just over a year ago I was very blessed when my dear friend invited me to New York City to celebrate her birthday.  What an incredible experience and amazing place NYC is.  I am still not over it!  I may never be.  However – back to the blog…

The day before the birthday celebration I went on a hunt for a birthday cake.  I have to tell you that finding a bakery in midtown NYC is not that easy when you have only been in the city for one day and you are a little jetlagged.

As I wandered around the streets of New York gathering goodies for the birthday girl I finally stumbled upon a bakery and there was a line of people coming out the door.  To start with I was very confused as to why people were lining up to get into this bakery – were they all looking for a birthday cake too?!  Then I realized – I had found the famous Magnolia Bakery (remember from Sex and the City?).  Once inside (finally) I just couldn’t go past the Red Velvet Cupcakes.  I have seen Red Velvet Cake on many of my favorite American movies so I wanted to find out what they were all about.

Red Velvet - the Mae West of cupcakes!  Made red with cocoa, a little vanilla and a lot of Southern mystery with its own special whipped vanilla icing.  H E A V E N!  Even more so when eating one for breakfast with a glass of Louis Roederer Champagne in celebration of your dear friends birthday in NEW YORK CITY!

A few weeks ago once again I was blessed when invited to a work colleague/friends birthday celebration.  This was a low key gathering at home.  As soon as I arrived I noticed this simple but elegant birthday cake.  It was on a crisp white cake stand covered with a tall glass dome.  The whipped white icing looked familiar so eventually I had to ask about the cake – what was it?  Who made it?  How was it made? And can I please have the recipe?

I was beside myself with glee when I was told it was Red Velvet Cake and the recipe was from Magnolia Bakery.  A cake can change your life!

Hello Mae West!

 








Just for you here is the recipe to try.  If you do try it please let me know what you think - is it the Mae West?

Red Velvet Cake:

3 1/3 cups cake flour (not self-raising)
¾ cup unsalted butter, softened
2 ¼ cups sugar
3 large eggs, room temperature
6 tablespoons of red food coloring
3 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa
1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
1 ½ teaspoons salt
1 ½ cups buttermilk
1 ½ teaspoons cider vinegar
1 ½ teaspoons baking soda

Pre heat oven to 175 degrees Celsius (350 degrees Fahrenheit)

Grease and lightly flour three 9 x 2 inch round cake pans, then line the bottoms with waxed paper.

To make the cake: In a small bowl, sift the flour and set aside.  In a large bowl, on the medium speed of an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until very light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.  Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.

In a small bowl, whisk together red food coloring, cocoa and vanilla.  Add to batter and beat well.

In a measuring cup, stir in salt and buttermilk.  Add to the batter in three parts, alternating with the flour.  With each edition, beat until the ingredients are incorporated, but do not overbeat.

In a small bowl, stir together cider vinegar and baking soda.  Add to the batter and mix well.  Using a rubber spatula, scrape down the batter in the bowl, making sure the ingredients are well blended and the batter is smooth.

Divide the batter among the prepared pans.  Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean.  Let the layers cool in the pans for 1 hour.  Remove from the pans and cool completely on a wire rack.

When the cake has cooled, spread the frosting between the layers, then ice the top and sides of the cake with Creamy Vanilla Frosting.

Creamy Vanilla Frosting: be sure to follow the recipe directions exactly.

6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups milk
2 cups unsalted butter, softened
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

In a medium size saucepan, whisk flour into the milk until smooth.  Place over medium heat and, stirring constantly, cook until the mixture becomes very thick and begins to bubble, 10-15 minutes.  Cover with waxed paper placed directly on the surface and cool to room temperature, about 30 minutes.

In a large bowl, on the medium speed of an electric mixer, beat the butter for 3 minutes, until smooth and creamy.  Gradually add the sugar, beating continuously for 3 minutes until fluffy.  Add the vanilla and beat well.

Add the cooled milk mixture, and continue to beat on the medium high speed for 5 minutes, until very smooth and noticeably whiter in color.  Cover and refrigerate fir 15 minutes (no less and no longer – use a timer!)  Use immediately.

- 'More from Magnolia' by Allysa Torey

www.magnoliabakery.com

ENJOY FRIENDS!

1 comment:

  1. I simply loved this tale of travel, friendships and "cake"
    Can't wait to try the recipe this weekend!
    Kerrie

    ReplyDelete