Sunday 23 June 2013

Trendy Food - Taco's


I often wonder how a food trend starts.  How does one particular dish or cuisine become a mainstream obsession?  Why do a collection of venues all vie to be at the top of the chain for a certain food at the same time?  Who starts this game of dominoes? 

If there’s a ‘movement’ to join, I want in!  Is there a system or a committee that predicts food trends like fashion forecasters?

At the moment I think it’s fair to say there are a few food trends on the circuit.  Burgers are trending big time.  Not the fast food variety but the gourmet style - a wagu beef patty with zucchini relish and goats cheese on a sunflower chia seed bun.  That kind of burger, you know the ones I mean.

The other trend that’s in my face, literally, is taco's.  Forget the ‘Old El Paso’ kit that Mum used to dish up when I was a kid, with browned minced meat, shredded lettuce, diced tomato and grated cheese shoved into a corn chip shell.  No, I’m talking about the lightly toasted tortilla filled with extravagant ingredients such as slowly braised pulled pork and mixed cabbage leaves or spiced chicken with white bean and avocado puree.  Yes, those ones!

These I cannot get enough of right now.

Fortunately I have befriended one of my local restaurants that every Friday for $5-gets me two different taco’s both with scrumptious fillings.  This goes all day, every week…now you know where to find me on a Friday!

GPO Taco's

There are loads of places doing groovy Mexican and serving up terrific tacos.  There’s even a ‘Taco Truck’! But in my neck of the woods I frequent ‘GPO’ in Bendigo.  Each week Chef Chad and his team push the limits a little further and bring with it some taco fillings to challenge anywhere else.  But remember – only on a Friday.

Tell me…where do you get your taco on? 


GPO Bar & Grill
60-64 Pall Mall, Bendigo, Victoria.
Phone – (03) 5443 4343


2 comments:

  1. I will have to try these out! I am trying to get to the taco truck in Kyneton too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get mine on at home! With two small children we rarely get out to dinner these days. Luckily, mine pass as a special treat. I make them from scratch and stuff them full of garden fresh goodies :)

    ReplyDelete