Sunday 11 November 2012

MANtastic Meals – Part 1


Straight off the back of ‘The Sweetest Thing’ series, I’ve decided to start a men’s version using favourite savoury recipes from some of the blokes in my life.  I sent a call out to almost every guy I know asking them for their favourite savoury recipe, asking why it’s their favourite and where the got the recipe from.  I had a surprisingly wonderful response making me think that husbands, boyfriends, brothers, mates, fellas, guys, chaps and lads really do love to cook and they particularly like coming up with their own creations.  I guess this is no real shock when most chefs in the culinary world are male.

This week we start with my mate Peter.  Pete was a colleague of mine at my previous place of work.  When he is at work Pete is the management accountant and he made ‘crunching the numbers’ and ‘cooking the books’ much easier for me when we worked together.  After all I’m a words person not a numbers person!  When Pete isn’t at work sifting through a sea of figures he is an international cyclist. He rides his bike all around the world ‘tour de France’ style. So the food Pete eats is very important.  He is actually fuelling his body so that he can race.  Pete has shared with us a recipe that he has created himself and throws together when he is touring around Europe.  I’m sure you can make it anytime you are touring around life.  I think it’s a great healthy dish for the warmer months ahead.

Pete’s Healthy Chicken Salad

What you need:

·        Brown rice
·        Chicken breast
·        Seasoning
·        Whole beetroots
·        Spinach leaves
·        Capsicum (Red, Green and Yellow)
·        Cucumber
·        Cherry tomatoes
·        Olive oil infused with garlic

 What you do:

1.      Cook rice
2.      Dice capsicum, cucumber and tomatoes
3.      Add to hot pan with olive oil infused with garlic and lightly grill
4.      Cut chicken into small pieces and grill in a separate pan.  Lightly    coat with seasoning.
5.      Mix rice, chicken, grilled vegetables with spinach leaves.
6.      Cut up whole beetroots and add to rest of ingredients
7.      Enjoy

Thanks Pete. 

If there are any male readers that would like to submit their favourite recipe to be published in the ‘MANtastic Meals’ series please email me at foodforyoureviews@hotmail.com I would love to hear from you.

 Enjoy friends!

1 comment:

  1. nice work Pete. Your shout for the next coffee. Skinny latte with one!

    ReplyDelete