Friday 8 June 2012

Jack & Daisy's


It’s not often that I walk in to a cafe for the first time and be greeted like I’m a regular.  I love feeling so welcomed and valued as a customer, confirming I have made the right choice in trying something new.

I experienced this at Jack and Daisy’s cafe in Cumberland Road, Pascoe Vale last weekend. 

The staff at Jack and Daisy’s seemed thrilled when six friends walked through the door. Even though we did not have a booking, and tables were full, we were somehow accommodated in the rear courtyard with a promise of a table inside when one became available. The inside decor was a combination of polished concrete and wooden floors, exposed red brick and plaster walls accompanied by groovy music that created a relaxed atmosphere.

The rear courtyard was delightful with tables and chairs scattered elegantly over the faux green grass, a white cane lounge with generously sized cushions, all of which was overshadowed by an old oak tree losing its autumn leaves.

For those accompanied by the toughest of all food critics, a cubby house full of toys is available for the children to play with.

About ten minutes after we had sat down in the courtyard we were offered a table inside and as attractive as the vibe inside was we chose to stay out in this little garden of treasures with the winter sun beaming down on us.

The menu was small and simple offering only five lunch items.  They cater for the breakfast, brunch, and lunch market.  I got the sense that breakfast may be one of their unspoken specialities.  The price point was fantastic and they have a great menu for the little folk.

Appealing to me initially was the sound of the ‘spicy beef and cheese quesadilla with guacamole and herbed yoghurt’ ($14) or the ‘zucchini and mint fritters with sour cream dressing’ ($13) but for some reason I was humoured by the name of the dish ‘schnitzwala – panko crumbed chicken breast schnitzel, tasty cheese and coleslaw on turkish’ ($10) add bacon ($11) add chips ($11.5).
Schnizwala


The schnizwala was nice but I wondered if I should have got the bacon for some extra flavor and depth. I also felt some avocado would have been a welcomed compliment.  All in all served with chips I think this dish is a great tummy filler and would be quite good as hangover food!


Pancakes


The children ordered ‘pancakes with maple syrup and ice cream’ ($6.5).  I quote “these are the best pancakes ever except for yours mum”.  Nothing else needs to be said about that – they were a major hit.  One thing I didn’t try but liked the look of was their cakes and sweet treats from the front cabinet.  They looked delicious and were smartly served up on a mini wooden board – very cool!

Upon leaving the Jack and Daisy’s team, who were all very personable and stylish in their urban chic, I sparked a conversation with the owner Eugene.   A very friendly young man who opened Jack and Daisy’s 18 months ago.  He informs me that they have already extended next door into the old post office and are putting the finishing touches on for parties and functions.  I would have loved to have quizzed Eugene a little more about how Jack and Daisy’s came about and see if there is any truth in the story I heard that Eugene and a mate own the cafe in partnership and named it after one of each of their grandparents.

There will definitely be another visit to Jack and Daisy’s for me, I loved it – next time for breakfast, coffee, cake and some more of the story from Eugene.  Stay tuned or go visit them and let me know!

Jack and Daisy’s
152B Cumberland Road, Pascoe Vale, Victoria.
(03) 9350 4106


Open – Weekdays 7am – 5pm.  Weekends 8am – 4pm.

Food – 7/10
Service – 9/10
Ambiance – 9.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment