Friday 1 June 2012

The Sweetest Thing

I am very fortunate to have a group of beautiful women in my family; most of them have quite a sweet tooth and all of them have a sweet personality.  They are all great cooks and very passionate about food – particularly sweets.  I don’t think I am exaggerating when I tell you this – I have never seen a group of women get so excited about cakes, slices, desserts, in fact anything sweet. I would go as far to say that in my opinion one of their favourite things to do would be to have some cake with a strong cup of tea over a chat with each other.  It is something that I get much enjoyment from watching.  I myself don’t share the same passion for sweet as I am more at one with savoury, however I love food and one of the main things that I love about food is how it brings people together and bonds them in such an ordinary and seamless way.

At our family gatherings there are many of us and it’s growing each year.  The dessert table is always the one with the most dishes on it and it gets the most amount of attention. It is the one that provides the shrieks of happiness. I am always waiting with much interest to see who has made what this time – an old favourite or has someone been experimenting with something new since we last met?  There was even one Christmas when my brother in law and his wife had a ‘trifle off’.  Each thought they had the best trifle recipe.  A panel of judges was assembled from within the family to determine who had made the best trifle. It was a tough contest but of course the sweet lady was triumphant.

Each of the girls has their speciality, possibly more than one. But they have mastered each one with patience, passion and a desire to share with those that they love.  That’s the thing – the sweetest thing, that no matter why or when, food is always the one thing that threads people together.  For happy times, sad times, difficult times, celebration times, family and friends come together and share their food and it becomes the fundamental point of the gathering.  It is the easiest way to express your condolences or your delight without a spoken word. You can just hand over a baked good and the other person knows exactly what you are trying to say.

So this love or near obsession for all things sweet that the lovely ladies in my family have, has prompted me to ask them to share their number one sweet recipe with me so I could share it with you.  It was not easy for some of them to choose just one.  Although this was to be expected!

Over the next few months one by one I will share each recipe with you to try.  In the meantime here is the list of number ones and the first recipe that I will share with you. If you do try one I would love your feedback.

·         Sue’s Golden Dumplings
·         Angela’s Butterscotch Pudding
·         Fiona’s Hazelnut Slice
·         Marita’s Trifle
·         Keely’s Peach and Raspberry Tart
·         Jess’s Fruit & Custard Tart
·         Veronique’s Easy Chocolate Cake
·         Rachael’s Apple Crumble
·         Amanda’s Caramel Butternut Snap Cups

The Sweetest Thing - part 1; Sue’s Golden Dumplings




This is one of Sue’s favourite sweets recipe.  It’s loved by many in the family.

What you need –

DUMPLINGS

1 cup self raising flour
1 tablespoon butter
1 egg, lightly beaten
A little milk

SAUCE
1 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon golden syrup
1 tablespoon butter

What you do –

Place sauce ingredients in pan and heat.

Rub butter into flour, stir in egg and enough milk to make a fairly stiff dough. Roll into little balls and drop into the boiling syrup for about 5 - 10 minutes.

Sue usually doubles the sauce.

THANK YOU SUE.  Enjoy everyone!

Sue found this recipe in the NMAA COOKS RECIPES FOR BUSY MOTHERS COMPILED BY NURSING MOTHERS' ASSOCIATION OF AUSTRALIA

3 comments:

  1. The Lady of the Manor1 June 2012 at 15:05

    As you and I both know my love of a dessert knows no boundaries... especially a dessert platter... and especially in my current 'condition'... due to having more time on my hands at present, well for a few more days/weeks anyways I will attempt to make these tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lady of the manor,did you try the dumplings last night?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love dumplings! During winter the kids often ask if we can have dumplings for dessert.

    ReplyDelete