Friday 8 March 2013

MANtastic Meals - Part 4


My friend Grant lost his mum tragically and suddenly a few years ago.  I never got to meet her but through the incredible thread of food I feel like I have gotten to know her a little.

Over the last 12 months or so Grant has been on a mission to get is hands on the recipes that were his mum’s.  He has reminisced about these homemade delights that his mum was known for in his local community as he was growing up.

With every dish there is of course a story or a memory that Grant can recount and tell with a very distinct sparkle in his eyes.  I love hearing these reminiscences because it inadvertently gives me so much background about my friend and his life before I knew him.  I also love listening to these stories about this wonderful woman, mother and cook who seemingly tied so many people around her together with her cooking and passion for food. 

And so it was especially pleasing last week when finally these recipes came into his possession.  Finally he had the keys to culinary success for some of his favourites like Applesauce Sponge Roll, Porcupine Balls, Toblerone Mousse, Beef Milano and of course Grasshopper Pie from his guest post on this blog.

Last night I watched Grant’s excitement when he came over to my house to cook two of his mum’s memorable dishes for me.  These dishes are easy, quick, tasty and a cheap way to feed your family. 

This year on International Women’s Day’, I pay tribute to this remarkable lady who was responsible for putting my dear friend on this earth and because her passion for food brought so much joy to those in her life.

Marj’s Spicy Baked Sausages

What you need –

·      3 tablespoons tomato sauce
·      2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
·      1 teaspoons dry mustard
·      2 teaspoons white vinegar
·      1 tablespoons brown sugar

Place sausages in a greased dish and split length ways down the centre of the sausage.

Mix all ingredients together and spoon a little into each sausage.

Bake in a moderate oven for 20-25 minutes.

Serve with rice or noodles.

Brown food!













Marj’s Chocolate Self-Saucing Pudding

What you need -

·      1 cup self raising flour
·      ¾ cup sugar
·      ½ cup milk
·      2 tablespoons butter
·      2 teaspoons cocoa

What you do –

Sift flour and cocoa.  Add sugar and melted butter and mix.   Add milk and pour into dish.

Mix -

·      1 ¼ cups boiling water
·      ½ cup brown sugar
·      2 teaspoons cocoa
Pour sauce mix over the mixture in bowl.

Bake in moderate oven for 45 minutes.

Serve with cream, ice cream or both.

Follow Grant on twitter @the_lux_list or www.theluxurylist.wordpress.com


If there are any male readers that would like to submit their favourite recipe to be published in the ‘MANtastic Meals’ series, I would love to hear from you.  Please email me at foodforyoureviews@hotmail.com




No comments:

Post a Comment